Memory Leak ? Re: [rt-users] System Requirements

Russ Roff rroff at stny.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 14:44:14 EST 2004

I've been suffering performance problems with 3.0.9 also, on a fresh
install.  Admittedly, my box is not well stocked.  I've only got 256 MB of
RAM.  This will have to change before I go live.  I'm using MySQL 4.0.17
standard, Perl 5.8.3, Apache 1.3.29, mod_perl 1.29, Solaris 8 and all
required versions of libraries to build RT3.0.9

I did some playing around and I'm confused by what I see.  It appears
somewhere there might be a memory leak of some sort or another.

The box I'm testing on has 1 user accessing RT - me.  There are 2 queues,
with 2 total tickets.  Nothing else runs on this box.  I bounced the box to
verify I'm starting fresh.  Here are the memory numbers I see.

Start - Apache running, 6 httpd processes, all 21.9 MB.  144 MB free RAM,
401 MB free SWAP.

Logged into RT (just opened home page, no tickets) - 72 MB free RAM, 395 MB
free SWAP
Open ticket #1, which has a 1 MB attachment and 20KB of text - 49 MB free
RAM, 395 MB free SWAP
Jumped to ticket #2, which has no attachments and 5KB of text - 33 MB free
RAM, 395 MB free SWAP
Logged out of RT/Closed Browser - 30 MB free RAM, 395 MB free SWAP.

I let the system "rest" for about 2 minutes between each of these activities
so that I knew all processes had finished their work.

Bounced Apache - back to 143 MB free RAM, 399 MB free SWAP.  mysqld, by way,
was pretty much stable at 36 MB with the exception of spikes during ticket
loads.

I don't know where the memory is going, but it's beginning to bother me.
Any ideas?