[rt-users] Re: Why is submitting/updating a ticket SO SLOW

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Sat Mar 13 00:10:33 EST 2004

The subject of this thread is inaccurate.  John doesn't want to actually
know why ticket updating is slow.  He just wants it fixed.  It's an
important distinction, as we'll soon see.

> > I really need to get the performance issues resolved, or drop
> > this code and go purchase a commercial product.

It's clear that a "commercial" product would be best in your situation
situation.  An open source product is not a good fit for your needs.

First, you're not taking advantage of the technical fact that RT is open
source.  The code is open, but you've not availed yourself of taking a
look at the code.  You apparently have some programming knowledge, so
I must assume that this is an issue of not wanting to take the time,
rather than one of not understanding it.  Time vs. cash is certainly a
fair tradeoff to be made, and no one would begrudge you that.

Second, you're not aware of, or perhaps choose to ignore, the social
aspects surrounding open source.  Your attitude of entitlement and
willingness to alienate all of your potential sources of help makes
this clear.  Part of the price tag of someone selling software is taking
shit from customers.

If you're not going to look at the code, and you'd rather gripe about
your problems rather than work to get them solved, then by all means, buy
the commercial product.  Microsoft is right down the hall.

Andy

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance