[rt-users] Performance and responsetime in RT 3.0.10

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Sun May 2 08:30:24 EDT 2004

Preface:
I run RT at home for tests on Duron600 with 196MB memory on
A1/mp1/mysql4.0.x with >3GB DB 40k tickets, 15k users...
and home page doesn't take much time to load about 3sec no more.

Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have terrible response times, at least 6-7 seconds, often more,
> sometimes enough to make fastcgi give up (max time set to 30 s).
I have no experience with FCGI :(

> Please note that this is *not* mainly a problem with the database, it is
> more or less *only* perl that uses the CPU. My guess is you will get the
> same results if you check using e.g. top. I just checked logging in to
> our RT, and the after hitting the login button with my credentials typed
> in, it took approx 25 seconds to load the "Home" page. Hitting "Home"
> again loads the page in about 6-7 seconds, since things are cached in
> the session, I guess... Anyway, checking the database log, of the 25
> seconds spent only 3.5 s where spent running database queries. Top shows
> about 15% load on postgresql and 100% load on perl (2 CPUs, remember).
> Nothing else loads the machine.
`top` isn't good method to analize perfomance and it doesn't show real
situation.
Could you send full DB report for one request to home page?
Did you try MasonX::Profiler, RT_Config:

# @MasonParameters is the list of parameters for the constructor of
# HTML::Mason's Apache or CGI Handler.  This is normally only useful
# for debugging, eg. profiling individual components with
#     (preamble => 'my $p = MasonX::Profiler->new($m, $r);');
@MasonParameters = () unless (@MasonParameters);

> We don't have a very fancy machine, which might explain the slowness to
> a certain degree. Two 450 MHz P3s.
I wrote test machine specs which run RT for me at home.

> One thing about the postgresql queries is bad, there's a mail thread
> about this a while back, but I believe it is postgresql specific - the
> SearchBuilder uses lower() on IDs, so indices are not used. Still only
> 10-15 % of the time is spent in the database, so there is something
> else, something in the perl code.
Does DBIx::SB use 'lower' for you? May be ILIKE, because this fix to SB
only in latest SVN and not in 0.99v as I remember.
In Pg you can create index on lower(column). iirc Pg schema on RT SVN
allready modified.