[rt-users] Empty requestor/subject in ticket AND RT: Encode::Guess failed

Dag Bruck dag at dynasim.se
Wed May 26 09:03:33 EDT 2004

I have just tried to upgrade Perl on my system, but the result was
very bad for RT.

Symptoms:

- Ticket is created from incoming e-mail, but subject is empty and
  requestor is empty (ticket always created by RT_System).
  AutoReply is not sent back to requestor.

- Syslog (var/log/messages) reports:
  RT: Encode::Guess failed: ; fallback to iso-8859-1 (/home/rt/lib/RT/I18N.pm:372)

  (note empty decoder in this message).

System description:

- RT 3.0.10, which has been running for quite a while. No problems with
  ticket creation.

  The reason I wanted to upgrade was that I had some problems with an
  incremental upgrade to Perl 5.8.3, so attachments were corrupted.
  This problem was indeed solved by reinstalling everything. Also,
  mail encoded in UTF-8 was incorrectly decoded.

- Removed old Perl and Apache completely and made a fresh install
  (in the order given).

  Perl 5.8.4
  mod_perl 1.29 + Apache 1.3.31
  Add'l Perl modules using RT's
    perl sbin/rt-test-dependencies ... --install
  "make upgrade" in RT directory just to be sure

  (I have also tried the same with Perl 5.8.3, mod_perl 1.27 and
  Apache 1.3.27 which I had lying around.  Exactly the same results.)

- My RT_SiteConfig.pm has some tweaks related to encodings:

  @EmailInputEncodings = qw(utf-8 iso-8859-1 us-ascii) unless (@EmailInputEncodings);
  Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'iso-8859-1');

- Apache's httpd.conf is set up with "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8".

- Operating system: RedHat 7.2

Going back to old version of Perl + Apache + mod_perl restores the old
behaviour, i.e. ok ticket creation but corrupted attachments.

Any help would be *SO MUCH* appreciated.  I think RT is great, but it
really hurts that attachments are corrupted and UTF-8 messages look
funny, and the failed upgrade is so frustrating.

Best regards,

Dag Bruck
Dynasim AB, Lund, Sweden