[rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)

Marc Haber mh+rt-users at zugschlus.de
Mon May 31 15:53:39 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 12:38:52AM +0200, Bastiaan Spandaw wrote:
> We currently use rt2, but because we want to upgrade to rt3
> I also chose for the option of using sarge+rt3 in a production
> environment.

I would recommend unstable. You get security updates in a much more
timely manner. OTOH, sid might break every day, and sarge breakages
are much less frequent. You need to carefully examine your preferences.

Maybe it would be a good compromise to run rt3 in a sid chroot hosted
on a Debian stable system. That way, backups are much easier and
faster to do, and you could probably run the database in the stable
host system.

> As a rule of thumb I only want to use software supported by the
> distributions packages management.

Neither Debian testing nor unstable get any "official" support. And
you can always roll your own .debs.

> Is it rt's problem it always needs bleeding edge dependencies? or is it
> the distributions we have to blame for (not) updating its packages? or
> is it a larger problem of OSS and its _very_ modular pillars?

It is a little bit of all.

> <off topic>
> debian stable is not a viable option in a _LOT_ of production
> environments.
> </off topic>

Acknowledged. Unfortunately, sarge won't release any time soon :-(
This is a major headache.

Greetings
Marc