[rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)

jamie baddeley jamie.baddeley at fx.net.nz
Mon May 31 16:16:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 07:53, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 12:38:52AM +0200, Bastiaan Spandaw wrote:
> > We currently use rt2, but because we want to upgrade to rt3
> > I also chose for the option of using sarge+rt3 in a production
> > environment.
>
> I would recommend unstable. You get security updates in a much more
> timely manner. OTOH, sid might break every day, and sarge breakages
> are much less frequent. You need to carefully examine your preferences.

I also used to have this view.

I've just been through this. Sid broke twice in one week, and currently
remains broken. I've moved onto Sarge as a result.

As the debian co-maintainer for rt3 pointed out to me, the security
based fixes implemented in Sid usually get tagged high priority, so get
passed through to sarge reasonably quickly.

My scenario is only customers and staff with known IP's can connect, so
this mitigates the security risk somewhat.

> Maybe it would be a good compromise to run rt3 in a sid chroot hosted
> on a Debian stable system. That way, backups are much easier and
> faster to do, and you could probably run the database in the stable
> host system.

Which is what I've done (db on woody). Also, Thanks to the excellent
design of RT, and the superfurryanimal powers of debian, it was possible
to quickly change front ends (s/sid/sarge/g) with no hassle. (i.e
migrate local hacks etc).

> > As a rule of thumb I only want to use software supported by the
> > distributions packages management.
>
> Neither Debian testing nor unstable get any "official" support. And
> you can always roll your own .debs.

Indeed. I know someone who has created the rt3 backport. I'll ask if
they want to put this up somewhere.

> > Is it rt's problem it always needs bleeding edge dependencies? or is it
> > the distributions we have to blame for (not) updating its packages? or
> > is it a larger problem of OSS and its _very_ modular pillars?
>
> It is a little bit of all.
>
> > <off topic>
> > debian stable is not a viable option in a _LOT_ of production
> > environments.
> > </off topic>
>
> Acknowledged. Unfortunately, sarge won't release any time soon :-(
> This is a major headache.

Tell me about it :-)