[rt-users] Alternative Ticket Creation

Roland, Ryan M rmroland at indiana.edu
Mon Nov 1 08:39:44 EST 2004

That's exactly what we were considering at first.  However, since we are
not in charge of the university wide email system there are basically
two concerns we have with that setup.  Firstly, is latency.  If someone
submits a request form, it may be minutes (or in bad times, hours)
before that request email gets through to the RT box.  Secondly is error
checking.  It's much more straightforward and simple to check for a
return value of 1 from a command-line script than to have to catch and
handle an email bounce.  Also, since our web form front-end is on the
same box as the RT instance, it'd be simple, immediate and easy to catch
errors if we could pass the form data to a command line script which did
the same basic job as rt-mailgate.  In fact, we've considered using
this, but haven't figured out the details of directly calling
rt-mailgate yet and wondered if there was something already created that
wouldn't expect an email format and would be fine with a simple text
file.

Any thoughts?

Either way, thanks Ken for the confirmation that our first inclination
was at least feasible.

Thanks,

Ryan Roland

Application Developer