Subject: [rt-users] What kinds of skills are required for RT

Joseph_Micciche at Progressive.com Joseph_Micciche at Progressive.com
Wed Nov 3 08:59:12 EST 2004

Hi Ron,

*Is it necessary to be a *nix systems administrator for RT?*

No, but it helps.

*Is it necessary to be DBA for RT?*

Definitely not.

*Is it necessary to be a perl expert to use and upgrade RT?*

To use and administer RT, no. To customize it, that depends - but Perl
knowledge would sure help. Fortunately this list and the contrib section on
the Wiki can help with almost anything.

*Can RT be used out of the box or do I need to customize it?*

It can be used out of the box. Your workflow and needs will determine
whether it needs to be customized.

*Basically, what kinds of skills do I need to have in order to
install/maintain/upgrade RT on a *nix environment?*

Once you get past the installation, you don't need a great deal of skills
unless you plan to customize a lot. If you have access to a decent *nix
admin who happens to know some Perl and database stuff, you'll be all set.
I am none of the above and have done 2 installs now and our mostly stock RT
has been running (mostly) happily for over a year now.

joe micciche