[rt-users] mailgate throws up on valid message

Ruediger Riediger ruediger.riediger at sun.com
Tue Nov 23 07:15:45 EST 2004

Hello Jesse,

Jesse Vincent wrote:
> That's not generally a good way to get answers out of an all-volunteer
> list.

I agree, but I had included more information into the second message as
we were debugging the issue as well. An unmodified resend is surely a
waste of time and bandwidth.

> Also, please don't cc both rt-users and rt-devel. Most people on
> rt-devel are also on rt-users. And getting two copies of a message
> doesn't make anyone more likely to reply to it.

Understood!

> Sending unmodified RT source to the list isn't really something that
> will help us debug your issue.

I have included the dynamically created /var/opt/... file from
HTML::Mason where the error occurred. This is a state file - no source code.

> If you have a message that RT won't process, the only thing we're going
> to be able to use to debug that behaviour is that message itself.

That's why I send the second message. The original message contained
information we cannot disclose. "Sanitising" it removed the problem -
the mailgate worked on the sanitised message. Once we had a second
message I can disclose, I was able to append it to the second message.
Therefore the re-send.

> Ideally, we could add it to the test suite to make sure it doesn't
> happen again. Have you folks attempted to isolate which of the message
> characteristics cause the failure? Is there anything in RT's logs?

I have added all what is in the logs. Even with "debug" level enabled,
the was nothing else.
That's the strange thing: the REST mailgate suddenly stopped and
"message" was not assigned any value. No, it's not the request body
size, that was the first thing to check :-)

I thought it's some special character in the message, but all characters
are encoded, so I am at a loss for the cause.

"Snooping" the traffic we see the rt-mailgate send the full message and
the REST gateway receives it, but when checking the "message" variable
at the very next line in the REST code, it's undef :-(

Best regards,

	Ruediger Riediger

--
Dr. Ruediger Riediger                              Sun Microsystems GmbH
NSG - SunCERT                                             Komturstr. 18a