[rt-users] Palm OS Synchronization

Kev Buckley k.buckley at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 05:52:16 EST 2004

> As Jesse mentioned, it might make sense to use ical (RFC2445) as an
> intermediate format. Producing something to export a list of tickets in
> that format is actually quite simple - in RT 3.2.2 (and probably other
> versions) there's an RSS link at the bottom of the search list that does
> a similar thing. It's not a great leap to add a new link that does the
> same thing but in ical rather than RSS.
>
> At that point you have a list of tickets from any given query in a
> format that can hopefully be inserted into other devices. Quite how you
> do that last bit I'm not sure - but there's gotta be apps out there that
> do that, right? ;-)

As long as there is an iCal parser that can place the data you have
dumped about the RT ticket into a known structure that describes it
the yes, there is code out there - the pilot-link project has the core
stuff, mostly in C, but with Perl bindings, that you need to talk to
the devices - the problem would seem to be coming up with a format
within the chosen app on the handheld that would allow you to extract
it back again into something meaningful to RT, which then set you down
the road that allows you to sync.

I might as well throw the XML instead of iCal transfer/intermediate
format into the equation.

This might be of interest, wrt storing the data in existing Palm (or
other handheld) apps:

 http://nwalsh.com/docs/articles/extreme2002/

As I mentioned though, having a bespoke app on the handheld in which
the data structures are setup from the beginning to hold RT
information would be a better solution.

Out of interest, what information would be required to "make use" of
an RT ticket on a handheld if such use could, initially anyway, be
considered to be simple off-line browsing ?

Thinking about what is visible in the stock user interface, would this
list be enough:

RT installtion identifier (for uniqueness
                             or maybe one Palm DB per RT installation)
Ticket Number
Current Status

Original Requestor
Original Description

 and then just a list of

Follow up comment
Comment submitter

--
Regards,

*  Kevin M. Buckley              e-mail: K.Buckley at lancaster.ac.uk   *
*  Systems Administrator                                             *
*  Computer Centre                                                   *
*  Lancaster University          Voice:  +44 (0) 1524 5 93718        *
*  LANCASTER. LA1 4YW            Fax  :  +44 (0) 1524 5 25113        *
*  England.                                                          *
*  My PC runs Linux/GNU, you still computing the Bill Gate$' way ?   *