[rt-users] Performance Issues

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:26:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:47:30AM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > I saw the thread with Jon Masters et. al. last month talking about
> > performance issues with RT 3.
> >
> > I've got a brand-new installation of RT 3.2.1 running on Fedora
> > Core 1, with apache 2 & FastCGI, with a mysql backend.  We have
> > fewer than 100 tickets in our database.  In general all the tools
>
> 	It might help for you to talk about

Sorry for the lack of details - i was hoping there were some fixes that
had been identified that I had missed in my perusal of the list archives.

> how you've configured mysql
> to make use of the system's ram,

First, I don't think it's a database problem - see below re
mason_handler CPU time.

I haven't done anything beyond red hat/fedora's defaults.

mysql is only using about 10 megs of RAM, FWIW.

I am not running innodb.

mysql    27143  0.0  1.0 33496 10916 ?       S    Aug06   2:48 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking

> made sure that the system isn't swapping,

It's not.  It has 1G of ram and does nothing beyond run processes
beyond what's required for RT.  It currently has 256M or so free, plus
256M or so used for file cache.

The machine has 7200rpm scsi disks and is running software RAID1.

> that most of the CPU time seems to be in the database or in
> perl,

definitely in perl.  Mysql has used 3 minutes of CPU in about a month.
my 10 mason_handler fcgi processes have used 2.5-3 mins each in the 24
hours since they were started.

When i was running a single mason_handler fcgi process, I could watch
the system with top and see that mason_handler was eating 100% of one
of the CPUs while I waited (on the order of 5-10 seconds) for the ticket
to display in my browser.

FWIW fastCGI is running under apache's userid.

> what versions of things other than RT you're running, etc.

(from fedora core 1)
mysql-3.23.58-4
httpd-2.0.49-1.1
perl-5.8.3-16
Linux branford.internet2.edu 2.4.22-1.2197.nptlsmp #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 15:05:23 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

(built from source)
mod_fastcgi-2.4.2

the long RT "make testdeps" output is at the end of this message.

I just realized that rt was configured to log to a non-existent file
where it did not have permissions to create one, so i don't have any
log info for you.

I should add for the record that I have been working on Unix systems
since 1991.

Someone else suggested that I should try falling back to RT 3.0.11.
Based on the upgrade instructions it does not look like this is something
I can do with my existing database.  Am I correct on this?

danno
dan pritts                                       danno at internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office
internet2                                        734/834-7224 mobile

[root at branford rt-3.2.1]# make testdeps
/usr/bin/perl ./sbin/rt-test-dependencies --verbose --with-mysql
perl:
        5.8.3...found
users:
        rt group (rt)...found