[rt-users] Performance Issues

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu Sep 9 15:46:44 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:29:21PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> It should have landed somewhere as part of the mysql install. For
> fedora it should be in /usr/share/mysql.  There should be some
> examples 'my-large.cnf', 'my-huge.cnf', etc. 'locate' should find
> them if they are somewhere else on your system.

yes, found it, thanks.    Now i'm using 300 megs of ram for mysql.

But I apparently need to convert my existing tables into innodb format.

> > I'm surprised I need a "large" configuration for a database that does
> > not yet have 100 tickets.
>
> You tune more for the size of your RAM.

...but I wouldn't think i would need much ram for a database that has
100 tickets.  Regardless, I've got the RAM and i've allocated it to mysql
at this point.

> Be sure you have let the system work a while before you start
> timing.  Each fastcgi process will need to parse and compile
> the perl/mason code once the first time it hits it.  Subsequent
> passes should be faster.  You need more than one fcgi but probably
> way less than 10.

Yes, I noticed when they started up they took maybe 10 CPU seconds each to
get going.  But they are persistent, have been running for over a day now.
I am pretty confident this is not the issue.

I didn't think i really needed that many fcgis but something i read
suggested i should have one for each httpd.  At this point it is extremely
unlikely that we are hitting it with more than one or two concurrent
users.  I figured i had plenty of RAM so no need to be stingy with them.

danno
dan pritts                                       danno at internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office
internet2                                        734/834-7224 mobile