[rt-users] Performance Issues

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu Sep 9 16:41:29 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:00:39PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think they only compile a page when you view it so it is a matter of
> having hit all the pages enough times that each fcgi has it compiled.

Hmm.  Seems reasonable and would explain some of the variability i have
seen - sometimes it's "slow" and other times it's "painfully slow".

slow meaning a couple seconds to update a page, painful in the 5-10
second range.

I have now lowered the number of fcgi's to 4.

> I have a similar setup with a few hundred tickets on fedora2 with
> mysql 4.0.18 and it feels a little slower than an older RT2 setup with
> many thousands of tickets, but it only takes a second or 2 to display
> a ticket.  I've turned off the option to log all the email responses -
> I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

This seems like something valuable for us so i don't want to disable it.

In other news, I'm now running mysqld with the mysql-large configuration
file, with innodb support enabled.  After backing up the database,
I've done ALTER TABLE TYPE=INNODB on all the tables in the RT3 database.
can anyone tell me what I can do to confirm this change?  The files all
now have .frm extensions.

As before, mysql doesn't use an appreciable amount of CPU although it
now uses 300 megs of RAM instead of 10.

As before, access is slow or painfully slow (see above) and the
mason_handler processes are eating boatloads of CPU time.

What should I check now?

danno
dan pritts                                       danno at internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office
internet2                                        734/834-7224 mobile