[rt-users] RT3 Documentation

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at acronis.com
Thu Sep 30 10:22:56 EDT 2004

Mike Friedman wrote:
> First off, could someone tell me where the various display fields for a
> ticket are documented with precision?  For example, what is the exact
> meaning of 'Told', 'Last Contact', etc.  I"ve looked at the 'User Manual'
> at http://wiki.bestpractical.com/, but it doesn't seem to have enough
> detail.  Didn't there used to be a full RT3 user manual in PDF, that had
> more detail?
No

> I'm trying to convert my RT2 perl scripts to use the RT3 'rt' command as
> an interface, just as I do now with RT2.  I know that the API would be
> better, but I have yet to find out enough information on how to use the
> API.  People have told me to look at the source, but that doesn't help
> enough when I don't yet know the basic protocol.  (For example, what
> 'setup' does each script need:  e.g., which modules do I need to include
> in my scripts, what does each one do, how to I retrieve return values and
> return codes from each method call, etc.).  I've been looking at sample
> scripts and the source for the RT3 library modules, but that still doesn't
> explain to me the meaning of the basic perl module components that are
> needed by any perl script that is talking to the RT API.  An API document,
> such as one can get for CPAN perl modules, would be a very good start.
Start from external utils on
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?Contributions

> Even better might be sample code to perform functions like this:
>
>   Create a ticket
html/Ticket/Create.html parse form and create new ticket

>   Change a ticket's queue, status, etc.
html/Ticket/ModifyPeople.html
>   Merge tickets
html/Ticket/ModifyLinks.html
>   Find last date/time a ticket was updated (*)
$Ticket->LastUpdated; # returns ISO formated date
$Ticket->LastUpdatedObj; # return RT::Date obj.
>   Search for a ticket with a particular subject line
my $Tickets = RT::Tickets->new( $RT::SystemUser );
$Tickets->Limit(FIELD => 'Subject', OPERATOR => 'LIKE', VALUE => 'Foo');
print $Tickets->Count;