[rt-users] RT3 Documentation

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Sep 29 18:00:41 EDT 2004

First off, could someone tell me where the various display fields for a
ticket are documented with precision?  For example, what is the exact
meaning of 'Told', 'Last Contact', etc.  I"ve looked at the 'User Manual'
at http://wiki.bestpractical.com/, but it doesn't seem to have enough
detail.  Didn't there used to be a full RT3 user manual in PDF, that had
more detail?

I'm trying to convert my RT2 perl scripts to use the RT3 'rt' command as
an interface, just as I do now with RT2.  I know that the API would be
better, but I have yet to find out enough information on how to use the
API.  People have told me to look at the source, but that doesn't help
enough when I don't yet know the basic protocol.  (For example, what
'setup' does each script need:  e.g., which modules do I need to include
in my scripts, what does each one do, how to I retrieve return values and
return codes from each method call, etc.).  I've been looking at sample
scripts and the source for the RT3 library modules, but that still doesn't
explain to me the meaning of the basic perl module components that are
needed by any perl script that is talking to the RT API.  An API document,
such as one can get for CPAN perl modules, would be a very good start.

Even better might be sample code to perform functions like this:

  Create a ticket
  Change a ticket's queue, status, etc.
  Merge tickets
  Find last date/time a ticket was updated (*)
  Search for a ticket with a particular subject line

And with the API, I'd hope to be able to check return status to know if
the operation succeeded or why it failed.

Thanks.

Mike

--------------------------
(*) I'm trying to see how I can determine from a script when a ticket was
last updated (whether by correspondence, comment or change in status).
This seems to be one of the few things I can't do with the 'rt' command.
The web interface shows a 'Last Contact' field, but that value is not set
in the tickets in my database, even though there has been correspondence
on the tickets.  (In RT2, there was a 'last updated' field, which is
really what I need).

Mike Friedman                             System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU                    2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                            University of California at Berkeley
http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef            http://security.berkeley.edu