[rt-users] local customizations: debian packaging?

Jens Porup jens at porup.com
Fri Apr 29 03:23:48 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:50:33AM -0500, Jeff Bachtel wrote:
> > Our local customizations of RT, however, pose a bit of a problem--random
> > bits and pieces all over the place!
> >
> > Anyone come across this problem before? Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> I don't entirely understand the problem. Debian's packaging system is
> more or less designed to handle files going all over the place.

point taken.

> What sorts of bits and pieces are causing problems, exactly?

Perhaps I've asked too soon. It's been six months and more since I last
was working on our local customizations, but things like cron jobs for
the rt user, overlay stuff, etc, etc. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Problems of upgrading versions also come to mind.

Because local stuff doesn't tend to have a cohesive whole--it's bits and
pieces everywhere that, in themselves, are completely meaningless. Sure,
you can declare a dependency to a particular version of RT, but you get
my drift, right?

Has anyone else had this requirement, and, if so, how have you approached it?

Jens