[rt-users] local customizations: debian packaging?

Jeff Bachtel jeff at cepheid.org
Fri Apr 29 03:58:46 EDT 2005

> > What sorts of bits and pieces are causing problems, exactly?
>
> Perhaps I've asked too soon. It's been six months and more since I last
> was working on our local customizations, but things like cron jobs for
> the rt user, overlay stuff, etc, etc. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Ahh, ok, I understand a little better. If I understand you correctly
and you're actually using the Debian RT package, and want to package
your customizations, then there are some definite things I'd do.

I'd have the your local package depend, of course, on the precise RT
version it was designed to work with. I'd package overlay files, and
any local-specific configuration files that aren't user-changed.

I'd then setup a config method in the Debian package for any options
your local admins should have. And I'd have a postinst method to do
the final configuration of cron jobs and things that aren't purely
files.

I'm sorry if that sounds nonspecific. I can't tell if your a dpkg wiz
(in which case everything I typed is useless, because you knew it :)
or whether packaging in Debian is something new for you (in which case
most of what I typed is useless, because the package structure and
capabilities aren't yet terribly clear).

Hopefully someone else will have use-cases that are useful to you :)

jeff