[rt-users] Eliminating email generated duplicate tickets?

Paul Crossman Paul.Crossman at tvguide.com
Mon Aug 1 17:16:39 EDT 2005

We're getting ready to go live with an internal implementation of RT and
something just came up where we'd like have something stop happening.

We have a lot of internal scripts that email the IS Help Desk address so
that the incidents get logged.  The trouble is, that the scripts are noisy
and will continue to spout warnings until the issue is resolved.

We'd like to continue this process once we migrate to RT from a monitored
mailbox.  The problem is we'll have multiple tickets generated under the
same circumstances.

Is there a way that I can prevent duplicate tickets from getting created
within RT for a 24 hour period if there's already an open ticket with the
same subject?

Here's an example:

	- Something breaks
	- Script sends email (Subject: It's Broken, fix it)
	- Within RT a ticket is opened with the same subject
	- 15 minutes later
	- Script sends email (Subject: It's Broken, fix it)
	- RT sees a ticket with this subject already and does not open a new
	  Ticket.
	- 1 day later
	- Script sends email (Subject: It's Broken, fix it)
	- Within RT a ticket is opened with the same subject

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Paul C.