[rt-users] RT and customer relations

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 22 15:36:32 EDT 2005

> Because RT is open
> source, if you do this, you have to make the source code available to
> everyone. If I could program in perl, I would gladly do it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ravin Mathoora

An important point of order: Open source does _not_ mean that you need
to share private, internal modifications to the software. It does
generally mean that if you distribute your modified version of the
software, you have to let the recipient have the source code AND the
right to change and redistribute what you've given them.

There are nuances and disagreements and each opensource license spins
this differently. rt-users isn't the right forum for a
what-is-opensource discussion, but I did want to be quite explicit that
you are NOT obligated to redistribute internal modifications.

All that being said, the community thrives because people choose to
share their work and I'd strongly encourage you to publish your changes
and extensions to RT.

Best,
Jesse