[rt-users] rt machine busted with fsck any suggestions

Tomas Doyle XA (DL/LMI) tomas.xa.doyle at ericsson.com
Wed Aug 31 07:35:32 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

i had installed the package RT and after much configuration and effort i finally had it up and running i decided to perform an fsck it replied problem with the superblock and magic numbers......within 2 seconds i didnt select yes to anything & next,
my ability to use the tab function to auto complete didnt work,
my symbolic links failed my RT machine ground to a halt.
i performed a reboot and instead of booting into fedora2
it came to the grub shell.
i cant seem to get it to load the kernel etc...probably as well because it cant find grub.conf

i tried a linux recovery using cd1 and it couldnt detect any linux partitions so therefore the command
chroot /mnt/sysimage
wouldnt work

i then atempted to restore the system using knoppix
i booted the cd and performed an fdisk -l
it detected all the partitions
the partiton sda1 was the boot partition
but in the file /etc/fstab
it didnt have a filesystem type for it

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
.    .          .
/dev/sda5 none swap defaults 0 0

i tried to mount all partitions and all worked except the boot partition

mount -t auto(tried ext2,ext3,reiserfs) -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
i got
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems

any help much appreciated can i save this system, it took long enough
to get right

Kind Regards

Tomas