[rt-users] rt machine busted with fsck any suggestions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Aug 31 08:50:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 06:35, Tomas Doyle XA (DL/LMI) wrote:

> i then atempted to restore the system using knoppix
> i booted the cd and performed an fdisk -l
> it detected all the partitions
> the partiton sda1 was the boot partition
> but in the file /etc/fstab
> it didnt have a filesystem type for it
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
> /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

I think you are looking at the knoppix built-on-the fly
fstab.  Look at the etc/fstab under wherever it
mounted your fedora root partition.

> i tried to mount all partitions and all worked except the boot partition
>
> mount -t auto(tried ext2,ext3,reiserfs) -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
> i got
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems
>

> any help much appreciated can i save this system, it took long enough
> to get right

It may be damaged beyond repair, but the only thing unique in
a boot partition is the initrd image and that only if you
need a scsi driver to boot.  If you have a similar box
you should be able reformat that partition while booted
from either knoppix or your fedora install cd in rescue
mode and copy the contents over from another machine.
If necessary you can rebuild the initrd image after
you get to the point where rescue mode sees the partition,
mounts the partitions, and lets you chroot to the old
system.

You might want to look at something like backuppc:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ to keep regular backups
once you are running again...

--
   Les Mikesell