[rt-users] Slow Query when Displaying "Owners" dropdown (Query Builder, Reply, etc.)

mark matyas mark at library.ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 28 18:16:09 EST 2005

Hello RT Users,

We just upgraded from RT 3.0 to 3.4.4 and everything went fine expect
for one thing:
There is a specific query that takes more than 50 Seconds and is
executed frequently as the results of the Query seems to be the list of
Owners in the Drop down menu for the Query Builder page or When
Selecting Reply, etc. So when a user clicks on the Query Builder it
takes 50 seconds, making it very hard to use sometimes.
The MySql query cache kicks in after that and subsequent clicks to query
builder are faster, but the 50 second time still happens quite often as
the cache gets updated.
We have close to 100,000 tickets and a few thousand users (autocreated,
mainly). If I start from a fresh database I don't have this problem,
it's only after I import our current, relatively large DB.

System:
RT 3.4.4 + apache2 + fastcgi + mysql 4.1 + HTML::Mason v1.3101 + DBI
v1.48 + DBIx::SearchBuilder v1.33;

 From the MySQL slow query log:
# Query_time: 56  Lock_time: 1  Rows_sent: 115  Rows_examined: 208668
use rt3;
SELECT DISTINCT main.* FROM Users main , Principals Principals_1, ACL
ACL_2, Groups Groups_3, CachedGroupMembers CachedGroupMembers_4  WHERE
((ACL_2.RightName = 'OwnTicket')) AND ((CachedGroupMembers_4.MemberId =
Principals_1.id)) AND ((Groups_3.id = CachedGroupMembers_4.GroupId)) AND
((Principals_1.Disabled = '0')or(Principals_1.Disabled = '0')) AND
((Principals_1.id != '1')) AND ((main.id = Principals_1.id)) AND  ( (
ACL_2.PrincipalId = Groups_3.id AND ACL_2.PrincipalType = 'Group'
                 AND (   Groups_3.Domain = 'SystemInternal' OR
Groups_3.Domain = 'UserDefined' OR Groups_3.Domain = 'ACLEquivalence'))
                  OR ( ( (Groups_3.Domain = 'RT::Queue-Role' )  )  AND
Groups_3.Type = ACL_2.PrincipalType) )  AND (ACL_2.ObjectType =
'RT::System' OR  (ACL_2.ObjectType = 'RT::Queue') )    ORDER BY
main.Name ASC;

That query displays valid users that can own a ticket.

Is there a way to optimize this query? Where is the bottleneck here (Why
so many rows examined)? How can I safely delete Unprivledged users from
the database to clean it up a bit? Would that help?
Or, as a last resort, how would I change every "Owner" drop-down to be a
fill-in text field instead?

I found this old thread
http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-devel/2003-October/004918.html
but it was a while ago and it seems like some internals have changed
since then; also there's no obviuos solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Mark Matyas
Computing and Network Services