[rt-users] editing tickets (comments and replies) - I know the answer, but dont understand why...

Adrian Carter cartera at lei.net.au
Sat Dec 31 20:20:01 EST 2005

At the risk of Biting...

I support the "NO" basis, even though I regularly go "Doh... if only I
could edit that..." . Management used to complain a bit.. but theres a
simple solution: Tell them its just like an Accounting System: No
Deletion, Only Adjustments. As soon as they see the parrallels between a
ticketing system used to track events and maintain an 'audit trail' and
their 'oh so precious' Accounting system that essentially behaves the
same in this regard its all good.

And why is it important ? Because RT provides full audit trails, and
other things which are very handy from a legal perspective. More than
once I've dagged tickets and their entire comment history out and
managed to 'head someone off at the pass' purely with the data that can
be provided and can be provided "as presented" with no possibility of it
having been altered.

The moment you add the 'concept' even of being able to edit 'inplace'
tickets, it breaks the whole potnetial integrity of the historical
accuracy of the tickets - How can you prove that was the original ticket
and not an altered/doctored version if any old person could edit it?

This is why, like with accounting, nothing is ever "deleted".. even
monumental stuff ups... They just get "adjusted".

I guess it also comes down to use. I use RT for tracking user support
queries, processing some tasks, and tracking some orders between
vendors. For this reason, I dont want it to be ABLE to be altered.

Maybe if you understand the full ramifications and potential impacts and
pitfalls of having editable tickets, and see it as no issue for
yourself, then go for it, and implement it yourself. Its not that
difficult - in fact I think there is some contrib patches floating
around to enable you to do what you want.

Thats my whole $0.02 worth

Adrian

--
Adrian Carter
Technical Manager

Web	  http://www.lei.net.au http://support.lei.net.au
Direct    +61 2 6163 6162  Support 1 300 662 415

E-mail    cartera at lei.net.au