[rt-users] editing tickets (comments and replies) - I know the answer, but dont understand why...

Duncan Shannon dshannon at techfluent.com
Sat Dec 31 17:50:31 EST 2005

Hi-

I'd like to discuss why RT doesnt allow for editing the the comments and correspondance for any give ticket.

I searched thru the archives, and there are a couple threads that when people ask if you can, the answer is one of two things:

1) No.

2) No, its against the "philosophy" or RT3 (or Ticketing Systems).

Is anyone up for a discussion on why the answers are that way? I feel that the capability should be there, and should be a permissions setting.

I dont see any reason why the editing of ticket comments or correspondance shouldnt be a feature of RT (or ticketing systems).

Done right, it can be a very good thing. It can provide:

* cleaning up of tickets for readability
* condensing tickets to take out any fluff
* removing of mistakes (oops, i replied to the wrong ticket kind of thing)

Sure, I get that it could be used for evil, but so could other parts of the system.

So, i know that the archives say the answer is NO, but i'd like to challenge that and see if anyone will bite and debate it.

duncan