[rt-users] Todo list / custom checkboxes in tickets

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Feb 9 07:25:41 EST 2005

Hi Jesse,

(Comments are inline)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:00:56PM +0000, Sam Stickland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're looking to use RT more extensively inside of our company, largely
>> for the tracking of new installs and the like. We'd like to be able to
>> create a custom todo list on the creation of a ticket; effectively a
>> selection of checkboxes with task items next to them.
>>
>> It would be nice if tickets could have variable number of task items
>> depending on the nature of the ticket, but we'd settle for a hardcoded
>> number if there's a signifigantly large amount of work involved.
>>
>> The standard custom fields don't seem to able to handle this sort of
>> complexity, so I guess it's time to put my programmer hat on? Is this a
>> feasible additional to RT, or will it not sit will with it's design? Has
>> anyone got any pointers on where to start, or to similar projects?
>
> This is a project I actually specced for a customer last week, so
> there's a reasonable chance it might just magically appear in the
> not-to-distant future.

While I don't have a budget to entice you into doing this, is there any
chance you could give an idea of timescales, and I'm happy to take a rough
estimation off list. I've got a programming itch I'm eager to scratch now,
but I'd hate to be duplicating effort. It's nothing I'd ever attempt to
hold you to ;)

To the other people that responded:

Yes, the tasks/todo list can be radically different per ticket, but they
are classed as 'install' tickets. The pre/post-task addition looks like it
can go some way to improving our workflow for larger tasks, but many of
the smaller ones would still need a basic checklist.

Sam