[rt-users] software versions question

Herb Commodore herb at oit.duke.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:49:48 EST 2005

I just got through migrating from RT 3.0.11 on a Centos 3.3 box
running MySQL 3.23.58-2.3 and httpd-2.0.46-44.ent.centos.2 to RT 3.2.2
on a different machine with the same software. httpd-2.0.46 is
Apache2.  We've been running RT under apache 2 for a few months now
without trouble, using FastCGI.The problems and solutions I
encountered in this migration:

Permissions & owner for the fastcgi tmp directory:  httpd was bombing
because it could not write to the fastcgi/dynamic directory.  I ended
up making those two directories mode 777 owned by apache:apache. (rt3 is a
member of the apache group).  Yes, the mode is not conducive to
filesystem security, but we don't allow anyone else on the box.  (and
if anyone unauthorized does make it to the machine, I don't think the
mode on a directory really matters to those intruders).

Database errors: [error] [client 152.3.XXX.XXX] FastCGI: server
"/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: DBD::mysql::db rollback
failed: Warning:  Some non-transactional changed tables couldn't be rolled back at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 716., referer: https://machine.duke.edu/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=12469

Solution:  our old RT3 database tables were of the type MyISAM and, Innodb
is not enabled by default with FC2/Centos 3.3/Redhat's mysql-server
3.23 package.  /etc/my.cnf needed to be mofied (example only, very
system dependant with regards to memory size):
# RT3 uses InnoDB
innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:500M:autoextend
set-variable=innodb_buffer_pool_size=1G
set-variable=innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M

and the sql server restarted.  See the documentation on dev.mysql.org
on the various Innodb variables which can be tuned to your specific
installations.
Then all of the tables needed to have their table types changed from
MyISAM to Innodb.  You can cut and paste the following and then do:
mysql -u <foo> -p rt3 < alter_tables.txt

alter table ACL type=Innodb;
alter table Attachments type=Innodb;
alter table CachedGroupMembers type=Innodb;
alter table CustomFieldValues type=Innodb;
alter table CustomFields type=Innodb;
alter table GroupMembers type=Innodb;
alter table Groups type=Innodb;
alter table Links type=Innodb;
alter table Principals type=Innodb;
alter table Queues type=Innodb;
alter table ScripActions type=Innodb;
alter table ScripConditions type=Innodb;
alter table Scrips type=Innodb;
alter table Templates type=Innodb;
alter table TicketCustomFieldValues type=Innodb;
alter table Tickets type=Innodb;
alter table Transactions type=Innodb;
alter table Users type=Innodb;
alter table sessions type=Innodb;

Depending on when you ran the "upgrade" scripts specified in the RT
documentation, you might also have to alter the Attributes table as
well. MySQL does not tell you if it can not create a table of the type
Innodb; if its not able to create that type, it will silently create
the tables of type MyISAM.

Problem: Testing installation of RT.  Initial tests were done via incoming
mail from address foo at .  User baz which logged into the web inteface was
recognized by RT has having mail address foo at .  When baz tried to update
tickets created by foo@, expecting an email message to be generated,
RT failed, stating no recipients were found.
Solution: multiple bogus accounts created to send mail to RT and baz was
able to answer w/o problem.  I probably could have changed
Set($NotifyActor, 0) in RT_SiteConfig.pm, but, in the end, it would
not have allowed the thoroughness of testing with multiple accounts.

Hope this helps someone...

                                -- Herb

--
Herb Commodore <herb at oit.duke.edu>	+1.919.660.6951
IT Security Office, OIT, Duke University