[rt-users] Is RT 3.x on unmodified OS X 10.3.x possible?

John Parker johnp at fmgsupport.com
Fri Jan 7 05:46:05 EST 2005

I haven't tried to use the native apache, but there are one or two
things that I came across that may save you some trouble:

1.	One of the perl modules XML::RSS I think, has a dependency on
libexpat which isn't present on a standard install of panther and has to
be manually added.

2.	Apache::request / libapreq requires a two step install under OS
X, probably, ;-) - The docs refer to libapreq 1.1 - current = 1.3 see
README in the libapreq distribution.

3.	If you are using MySQL make sure that /path/to/mysql_config is
included in your path - a nast glitch here is that if you use a symlink
to achieve this it will return incorrect values. (Using MySQL 4.1.7. OS
X installer) Modify your path statement to include the actual directory
instead. Without this, and some --with this --with that options
DBI::MySQL will not pass make test.

4. Mac OS X has postfix installed but not active by default. You can
enable it courtesy of this chap:
http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/osxpostfix.html

I am still investigating RT on OS X but have elected to start again from
scratch. I think it may well be easier to commit heresy (Enable the root
user.) and do everything as root rather than using sudo, particularly
when using CPAN.

Regards

John