[rt-users] RT 3.2.2 very slow

Mike Patterson mikep at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 18 18:09:38 EST 2005

Some parts of your experience sound similar to mine, although not quite
as bad, and it's making me question my assumptions about whether new
hardware will get me the speed boost I need.

I was running RT 2.0.1x on a FreeBSD 4.6 on good server hardware at my
previous job and it was very responsive.

Running the 3.x series here at my new job it feels slower than I'm used
to.  Short tickets (1 correspondence) takes ~3 seconds to load, Medium
tickets (20 comments/correspondence about 20 seconds, Longest Tickets
(e.g. more than 50 comments/correspondence) ~2+ minutes.  My assumption
is that this is due to the desktop-class hardware I installed RT on.

I've tried a lot of different optimizations
(http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?PerformanceTuning), with little
effect.

So I'm assuing that it's the underpowered hardware: (dual P3-700's 512MB
RAM 5400 RPM IDE drive)
Current Build: FreeBSD 4.11 (originally 4.8)  / RT 3.2.2 / Perl 5.8.4 /
Apache 1.33 Modssl 2.8.22  / Mod_Perl
1.29 / Sendmail 8.13.1/

I'm getting a new Dell PowerEdge (P4 3.2Ghz,  4 GB Ram, 10K RPM SCSI)
soon :-) .
Assuming fast networking, reasonable install (FreeBSD 4.11) can I expect
a short ticket to load in < 1 second, < 2 seconds medium tickets,
longest tickets < 10 seconds?  Are people running RT on hardware in this
range finding that performance?

I'm also contemplating building this new box with FreeBSD 5.3.  Have
people had a good experience with RT on FreeBSD 5.3?

Thanks,
Mike