[rt-users] RT 3.2.2 very slow

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Tue Jan 18 19:20:24 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

As another data point;

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 15:09 -0800, Mike Patterson wrote:

> So I'm assuing that it's the underpowered hardware: (dual P3-700's 512MB
> RAM 5400 RPM IDE drive)
> Current Build: FreeBSD 4.11 (originally 4.8)  / RT 3.2.2 / Perl 5.8.4 /
> Apache 1.33 Modssl 2.8.22  / Mod_Perl
> 1.29 / Sendmail 8.13.1/

We're running RT 3.2.2 on an ancient Dell 6300 with Dual PIII 500/Xeon
processors and 2Gb of RAM under FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p11.  The box uses
disk attached via SCSI from one of our IBM Shark storage arrays. We are
using MySQL 4.0.16, Apache 2.0.50, mod_perl2 1.99r14 and Perl 5.8.4.  I
compiled MySQL with LinuxThreads and run the "huge" mysql config (this
host also has a 196 million row web log database).

We have just under 6000 tickets and no ticket display takes more than 10
seconds.  It probably has around 6 to 10 concurrent users.

The apache processes sit at around 55Mb resident and don't seem to grow
much.

> I'm getting a new Dell PowerEdge (P4 3.2Ghz,  4 GB Ram, 10K RPM SCSI)
> soon :-) .

I think the memory and faster scsi disk will help more than the faster
processor.

> I'm also contemplating building this new box with FreeBSD 5.3.  Have
> people had a good experience with RT on FreeBSD 5.3?

No experience yet, but I'm contemplating moving to it reasonably soon as
I can't currently backup the stupidly large weblog database to TSM and
I'd like to try MySQL with native threads rather than the heavyweight
linuxthreads.

Carl.