[rt-users] RT sending email that violates proper MIME RFC

Keith Wessel kwessel at intenex.net
Sat Jul 2 02:14:25 EDT 2005

Hello,

Saw nothing in the archives or elsehwere about this, so I thought I'd
ask if anyone else had seen this issue.

Certain systems are having problems with the email that my RT 3.2.3
install is sending out.  The problems started after upgrading from RT
3.2.2 a few weeks ago.  There are two related symptoms:

* Some systems that receive mail from RT (using Postfix) that have super
picky restrictions on mail meeting proper MIME RFC choak with the
message: "This box does not accept messages that violate MIME RFC" and
the mail is completely refused (554 service unavailable).

* Any mail sent to a yahoo.com address is received, but the recipient
reports to me that they received a blank message from RT.  If they
choose to download the message text, Yahoo then displays the raw message
in their browser and they can read the contents.  But using the normal
facility in Yahoo's web API to read mail, the message appears blank.  I
have done an "rt show ticket/xxxxxx/History/id/yyyyyy" to copy the
message text into an email that I then resent from my personal email
address, and they receive the message fine.  If I maintain the RT
subject line and set the reply-to to RT, the system handles their
response just fine.

So, anyone know why RT is breaking valid MIME rules?  It's RT 3.2.3 on a
RHEL3 system with the standard RedHat sendmail.  Anyone seen this and
have any pointers on solving it?  Sorry, but ceasing communications with
my customers at yahoo.com is not an option. :)

Thanks very much for any help anyone can provide!
-Keith