[rt-users] mod_perl2 compatibility

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at miet.ru
Mon Jul 11 16:32:51 EDT 2005

Christopher Allison wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>
>> Main thing you HAVE TO do before you init your RT DB is set up password
>> of the RT database user.
>

> Snip-snip
>
>> You can use ./configure arguments --with-db-rt-user and
>> --with-db-rt-pass to setup it, then you don't need to change config
>> file, because RT_Config.pm would be filled with your new values instead
>> of the defaults.
>

> Snip-snip
>
>> Please, apply some changes to instalation guides. IMHO easiest way is
>> configure script options.
>

> Ruslan,
>
>     Let me make sure I understand you. You're saying to do
>         'make install'
>         './configure arguments --with-db-rt-user --with-db-rt-pass'
no-no. You should run configure script only once. Running it second time
after `make install` doesn't make sence because this script prepare
files for installation. This this should be something like:
	'./configure arguments --with-db-rt-user our_secret_rt_db_user
--with-db-rt-pass our_secret_rt_db_pass'
	'make install'
then
	'make initialize-database'

> then
>         'make initialize-database'

Let's clarify that I talk only about how things work and want to NOTE
that you have to change default values of the $DatabaseUser and
$DatabasePassword before you run `make initialize-database`. That's why
RT suggest you change RT config just after `make install`. You can
change this options by adding additional arguments when running
configure script or setting this RT options before you run `make
initialize-database`.
So if you don't use '--with-db-rt-user our_secret_rt_db_user
--with-db-rt-pass our_secret_rt_db_pass' when run configure script then
you have to change your RT config just after `make install` in other
case you should run custom SQL queries to change credentials RT uses
when connect to the DB. But if you use described configure options you
can run `make initialize-database` before you change RT config file.

> and then edit RT_SiteConfig.pm? Or are you suggesting a different
> sequence? While you can wait to edit RT_SiteConfig.pm with your method,
For wiki InstallationGuide I suggest use configure options I described
and change RT config file after `make install` and before `make
initialize-database` to be compliant with what `make install` says.

> don't you have to edit it eventually anyway? Does this save time, or
You almost always have to change RT config file options, because you
can't set all default values with configure script.

> simply put off a complex step? The RHEL4 install guide is located at:
This makes your installation more SECURE!!!

>     http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RHEL4InstallGuide
>
> and you can edit it directly yourself if you like at:
Yeah, I do know that I can edit it :)