[rt-users] About the Comment Address in queues

Howard Kao fatearthling at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:18:08 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 01:21, Howard Kao wrote:
>
> > Oh, so you are saying that RT decides which ticket discussion to add a
> > comment in by looking at the subject of a mail sent to Comment
> > Address, provided that the subject of the email matches either the
> > subject of a ticket?
>
> Matching replies to existing tickets is always done by finding
> the ticket number in the subject line in a specific format.
>
> > I thought this would be explained in the docs but I apparently have
> > missed it.  Thanks for the help.
>
> This is in a different place.  First you have to configure 2 email
> aliases for RT  - one for replies and to create new tickets
> (--action correspond) and another for comments (--action comment).
> For new tickets you need to specify the initial queue as well.  This
> is ignored for replies with that match on existing ticket numbers
> so you don't really need to set the queue-specific correspond/comment
> addresses within RT that are used as reply addresses unless you want
> to make it appear that they came from different addresses.   However
> the generic comment address or the queue-specific one you use must
> be an address that matches an alias that adds the "--action comment"
> option for rt-mailgate.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     les at futuresource.com

I do have a line for --action comment along with a --action correspond
line for a queue.  It's just that, without knowing the specific format
for RT to match incoming email headers to record the email as a
comment to a specific ticket, my rt-mailgate line with --action
comment will make a new ticket instead.  Can you point to me where in
the docs says about this?  Thanks.