[rt-users] Installation pain...

Jon Forrest forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 9 18:12:56 EDT 2005

I think I understand what people mean when they say
that installing RT is painful.

I'm now sucessfully running RT 3.4.0 on Fedore Core 2,
MySQL 4.1 but it wasn't easy and it took me quite a while
to get it going.

One of the things that bothered me, but something I
see no way around, is the way RT is dependent on
so many external software package. Most are Perl modules,
true, but it's hard to get a handle on how everything
interrelates. Just the interdependencies of the Perl
modules alone boggle my pea brain. The issue of
which version of mod_perl to use also took a lot
of head scratching.

Maybe the upcoming O'Reilly book about RT will help
all of us.

Jon Forrest
Computer Resources Manager
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept.
305 Davis Hall
Univ. of Calif., Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
510-642-0904