[rt-users] Poll: how do you avoid 'Out of office' messages ?

Graham Dunn graham.dunn at leitch.com
Wed Jun 15 15:25:27 EDT 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 00:00, Phil Homewood wrote:
>

>>rt: "|/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc.rt general correspond"
>>rt-comment: "|/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc.rt general comment"
>>
>>then just fill in /etc/procmailrc.rt, which does any filtering you like,
>>and finishes up with
>>
>>:0w
>>| /path/to/rt-mailgate --queue $1 --action $2 --url http://your.rt.box/
>>
>>There are many possibilities. :-)
>

> Part of the problem is: what do you do with ones that need human
> intervention?  Especially if you are doing customer support, it is
> almost impossible to automatically filter everything correctly.
> If anyone is working on an enhancement in this area, it would be
> nice to have an internal filtering mechanism that would drop
> questionable emails into a holding queue that would require manual
> approval before passing into the real queue and forwarding on to
> the admincc watchers.  The mailman mail list manager has something
> similar with a reasonable set of options to control the filtering.
> I've even considered setting up a mailman list as the visible
> mail alias target with the RT gateway as the only list member
> but didn't want to deal with the extra header-munging that would
> happen.  This would be especially useful in combination with an
> email system that has already inserted 'spam-score' header from
> a scan before delivery.

We handle this as follows:

Mail traverses spamassassin on our mail gateway (getting the appropriate
X-Spam-Flag if spam), and ends up at our RT server, where
/etc/mail/aliases contains:

tikreq:         "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -a general -a correspond"
tikreq-comment: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -a general -a comment"

DesktopSupport: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -a DesktopSupport -a correspond"
DesktopSupport-comment: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -a DesktopSupport -a
comment"

etc for various queues.

/usr/local/etc/procmailrc contains

VERBOSE=no
LOGABSTRACT=yes
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
QUEUE="$1"
ACTION="$2"

:0
{
   :0
   |/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue tsube --action $ACTION --url
http://tikreq.inscriber.local/

   :0
   |/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue $QUEUE --action $ACTION --url
http://tikreq.inscriber.local/
}

So X-Spam-Flag: Yes'd mail gets shunted into a special queue for review.

Graham