[rt-users] Comment when ticket transfers queues

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 17 12:05:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:47:46PM +0400, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
> Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> > I am trying to determine how to get RT to prompt for and add a comment
> > to the ticket when it is transferred to another queue. I tried editing
> 1) RT adds transaction to the ticket that ticket was moved from queue A
> to queue B.
> 2) You can't force user to add comment whe he moves ticket to another
> queue. Learn your users explain thier movement.

"The software can't do it, train your users not to forget" is never an
acceptable answer, Ruslan.  :-)

Yes, I believe that's what she wants: she wants to force RT to prompt
for a comment transaction to automagically accompany the queue change
transaction.

On reflection, it seems to *me* that the easiest way to accomplish
that, since the queue in which a ticket lives seems only to be able to
be changed in the GUI from Basics and Jumbo, is to further restrict it
only to the Jumbo screen, and modify the code which catches it to throw
an error on Queue changes unless the comment field has contents in it.

I'm not enough of an RT hacker to know how practical such a change to
the code is, but this sort of speaks to where *I* was originally going
with ticket-tracking design before I found RT, which is that *every*
transaction automatically has fields for both private and public
comment, regardless of what sort of transaction it is.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me