NEVERMIND (was Re: POLL: comments with status changes (was Re: [rt-users] Comment when ticket transfers queues))

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 17 13:54:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:51:58PM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:47:07PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:52:04AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > > Always.  I'd be perfectly happy if the only way to set the status
> > > to resolved was by changing it inside the comment or reply
> > > screens.
> >
> > Well, Jesse has just explained to me (off list, for some reason) that
> > there are enough paying customers whose workflows would be broken by
> > the idea that it's not likely ever to happen.
>
> RT is used by lots and lots of very different organizations with many
> different policies. Changing the application to force everyone into one
> notion of a policy is a sure way to make the package completely useless
> to lots of sites.  That's not to say that one couldn't build more
> flexibility into the system to make it easier to enforce a site policy.
>
> So, one possible extension would be to add comment/reply boxes to the
> various other ticket update pages like "Basics" "People" and "Links."
>
> Would that get close to doing what you want?

Quite a bit closer to doing what not only I, but clearly, oh, 5 or 6
other people (:-) want.  And, while I was hoping that it would be clear
that what I was suggesting was that it be possible for a site to
*choose* a policy which required comments on all status changes --
clearly I was wrong.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me