[rt-users] can't log in to web interface with fresh RT install on OSX

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Fri Mar 4 18:45:47 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Chris Devers wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, steverieger wrote:
>
> > See the notes I posted earlier this week about installing rt 2.4.1 on
> > mac os x server
>
> You mean this post about RT 3.4.1 (not 2.4.1) on OSX 10.4?
>
> http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2005-March/029146.html

By the way, that message mentions:

    Other than that I used fink to installed OSXUserUtils from
    www.osxgnu.org so that we can add the rt group via command line

This can be done with OSX's built-in NetInfo command line tools.

To create a 'rt' group with group-id 82:

    nicl / create /groups/rt gid 82
    nicl / create /groups/rt passwd \*

To create a 'rt' user account with user-id 261:

    nicl / -create /users/rt uid 261
    nicl / -create /users/rt shell /usr/bin/false
    nicl / -create /users/rt home /usr/local/rt3
    nicl / -create /users/rt realname "RT Daemon Account"
    nicl / -create /users/rt passwd \*
    nicl / -create /users/rt gid 82

You can also use /etc/password syntax, with something like this:

    niload passwd . <<EOF
    rt:*:261:82::0:0:RT Daemon Account:/usr/local/rt3:/usr/bin/false
    EOF

Conceivably, the RT installer can run these commands automatically...

--
Chris Devers