[rt-users] form letters that are not scrip templates

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 10 14:57:45 EST 2005

At Thursday 3/10/2005 02:11 PM, Duncan Hutty wrote:
>We had hacked some form letter functionality into our 0.ancient version of
>RT. I am hoping that RT3 has something along similar lines. Please confirm
>or deny.

Denied!

>Certain requests come in again and again and should be given the same
>(extensive) response. For example, "Has my application for graduate
>admission been received/granted?" We need to reply manually to such
>requests since I don't think that we could generate a regex based filter
>that automagically knew the incoming request should received that type of
>response. Therefore, we should like to be able to hit 'reply with form
>letter' and select a form letter with substituted values for certain
>variables within the template.

If you are also using RTFM, you could create your form letters as FM
articles - RT provides a way of pulling articles into a reply or comment.
However, variable substitution wouldn't be part of that - some custom
coding or hand-editing would be required.

Steve