[rt-users] Trouble configuring FastCGI

Sam Snow sam.snow at christianheritageschool.org
Mon Mar 14 00:02:57 EST 2005

Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of converting RT 3.2 from a Debian system running Apache
> 1.3 and mod_perl 1 to RHEL4 with Apache 2 and FastCGI. I think I've got RT
> set to go, but I'm stuck with the FastCGI. I've never used FastCGI before so
> I'm trying to follow the instructions the wiki closely. (
> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?FastCGIConfiguration)
>
> I'm trying to get RT to run as a static/external FastCGI, but the init
> script on the wiki isn't working. I've got:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> RTPATH=/opt/rt
> RTUSER=apache
> FCGI_SOCKET_PATH=$RTPATH/var/appSocket
> PERLPATH=/opt/perl/bin/perl
>
> case $1 in
>     start)
>         echo -n "Starting RT: mason_handler.fcgi"
>         cd $RTPATH
>         export FCGI_SOCKET_PATH
>         su $RTUSER -c $PERLPATH bin/mason_handler.fcgi &
>         echo
>         ;;
>
>     stop)
>         echo -n "Stopping RT: "
>         pids=`ps axww | awk '/[m]ason_handler.fcgi/ { print $1}'`
>         if [ -n "$PIDS" ]
>         then
>             echo -n kill -TERM $PIDS
>             kill $PIDS
>             echo
>         else
>             echo RT not running
>         fi
>         ;;
>
>     restart:force-reload)
>         $0 stop
>         $0 start
>         ;;
>
>     *)
>         echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/rt { stop | start | restart }"
>         exit 1
>         ;;
> esac
>
> But it fails silently and the mason_handler doesn't start. (I did change the
> RTUSER to apache since the directions seemed to suggest to configure RT so
> it was run by the web user.)
>
> Interestingly, if I su apache and run the mason_handler.fcgi directly it
> generates the HTML for the RT homepage.
>
> Anybody got RT working in the configuration I'm trying
> (RHEL4/Apache2/FastCGI)? If so, I could really use some suggestions. A
> recipe on the wiki would be great! If I get this working, I'll do it myself.
>
> -Tim

Tim,

I have been trying to get things going with apache2 and fastcgi as well,
  though I did not try the starting separate method that you referenced
above. Instead I was trying to get apache to call the mason handler when
  apache started up.

I was able to get things going using the fastcgi example at the top of
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?MultipleInstances , modified to
only deal with one instance. I think the only other step I had to do was
to change my site config file so that the apache user could read it.

If you choose to go this route my suggestions are: start with a very
simple site config,  get the login page working using that simple
config, and then make things more complicated.

Report back if you have any luck!
Sam