[rt-users] Apache problem

Frank Saxton frankie at easyrider.com
Thu Mar 24 13:07:48 EST 2005

Right.  My opinion based on successfully installing literally thousands of
projects from source with little of no trouble.....

I think I have the bulk of the mod_perl dependencies resolved, which is one
main reason for not wanting to start over again with the FastCGI route.  And
to be honest, it wasn't real clear what configure switches I needed to
provide to build a FastCGI file anyway.  Where ever possible, I took the
defaults.

I currently have RT made and installed

My problem could be with the apache config files.  I was hoping someone in
this forum could help.  I'm running apache 2.0, btw.  From what I've read I
might have had more luck with RT if I was on 1.3 but the 2.0 decision had
already been made for other reasons.

So just to review, after following all of the instructions,. tips and so on
that I could find, when I try to start apache with either

PerlModule Apache::DBI or
PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl in httpd.conf

I get a can't locate Apache/DBI.pm error message

The file exists in /usr/lib/perl5/....... but whatever is looking for it can't
find it.  I'm guessing this is a very simple thing to fix if I just knew how
to help Apache find this needed file.  That's all I really need help with and
I'm guessing I will be very close to good to go once that's solved.

On Thursday 24 March 2005 08:44, William Harrison wrote:
> Well, that's your opinion. I'd say the procedure for getting it installed
> on RHEL with mod_perl is about the same amount of work, having gone that
> route and run into significant troubles, which led me to use FastCGI
> instead.
>
> - Both routes require resolving numerous dependecies in perl.
> - Both require configuring, making, and installing RT.
> - Both require edits to RT and Apache conf files.
> - Both require creation of an RT group, disabling selinux, and installation
> of MIME::Base64 (not in the make testdeps command).
>
> The only additional thing the FastCGI method requires is downloading,
> configuring, compiling and installing FastCGI -  a total of maybe half a
> dozen commands. How much work will be required specific to the mod_perl
> version of the install hasn't been determined yet.
>
> Odds are good you can just install FastCGI and then reconfigure, remake,
> and reinstall RT (assuming you have already solved all dependencies etc).
> Otherwise you will likely have to download Apache source and recompile and
> who knows what else...
>

> As I said before, to the best of my knowledge no one is using RHEL 4 and RT
> with mod_perl because no one has gotten it working, or if they have they
> haven't told anyone about it. A bunch who have tried have gotten to the
> same point you are at currently and then switched to FastCGI out of sheer
> frustration.
>
> If you do figure it out, be sure to post your solutions to the list and
> help out others attempting your method of install.
>
> Good luck,
> -William

<snip>