[rt-users] Ticket Query causes mysql to spin endlessly

Aaron Nichols adnichols at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:39:51 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Vance Vagell <vance.vagell at audiumcorp.com> wrote:
>  We also have this problem, where searching through the content of tickets
> causes the session to lock up.  If it is a lengthy search, the browser needs
> to be closed and the cookies deleted.  If it a short search, it returns
> results and has no problems.  I have found that specify more search
> parameters speeds up the search (obviously), and that avoids this problem
> most of the time.  But there are times when you need a more general search,
> and then you gamble with locking up the session.

The difference I see however is that in our case, either querying
'Content LIKE "test"' or 'Subject LIKE "test"' works fine seperately
and is generally very fast (a few seconds). However, when combined,
they never complete. Even after clearing the cookie or restarting the
browser, mysql will sit and chew on that query for as long as I've
ever waited (up to 10 minutes) and never complete. I would expect the
query to perhaps take twice as long as querying each item seperately,
but when a full content search takes 5 seconds I can't understand why
additionally searching the subject would increase that to over 10
minutes.

Aaron