SV: [rt-users] Table relations in RT

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 1 11:08:03 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:07:26AM +0200, Hilde T Lauvset Rafaelsen wrote:
> We want to have a registration form outside RT where users can
> registrate and report about problems. The reason we want this is because
> some users (we are at a university) use the phone instead of using RT
> and email.
>
> The info the user registrates in the application form is registrated in
> the RT database and will pop up as a new ticket in our main queue.
>
> I know it is not recommended to interact directly with the database, but
> the application form is strongly wanted from my leaders.

The easiest way to do this, and several people have reported doing so
on the list, is to create a webform that sends an email to the
appropriate queue address in RT.  You'll want to validate some things,
of course.  This is an excellent way to make sure your original ticket
opening email contains enough information to get the work done, since
your form and email script can be as complex as seems warranted, while
requiring almost no knowledge of RT internals, not hacking on the code
or databases.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"NPR has a lot in common with Nascar... we both turn to the left."
		- Peter Sagal, on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!