[rt-users] RT and the Perl Dependency Nightmare...

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:08:32 EDT 2005

On 9/8/05, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 08:29, Ben Goodwin wrote:
>
> > Running on RedHat myself, I've given up on trying to run RT with RedHat's
> > perl.  I've compiled and installed my own perl into /usr/local and I use
> > CPAN to install all the required modules.  I used to use cpan2rpm but as
> > perl and required modules got newer while my system's perl got older, things
> > started breaking.
>
> RedHat what?  RHEL4.x should work, along with Fedora FC2 and up and the
> free Centos4 rebuild of RHEL4.
IMHO main problems with RH distros are:
1) RT is not part of distribution, so AFAIU you can't get support from
RH(may be I'm wrong).
2) RH freeze package versions and then only applies patches
selectively. For eg in RH9 was 5.8.0 available only with a lot of
patches, when at the same time perl5.8.3(or may be 4) was available at
perl.org. I even couldn't compile that RH's perl from SRPM or it was
failing on the tests.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.