[rt-users] RT and the Perl Dependency Nightmare...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 8 18:09:10 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 16:08, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

> > RedHat what?  RHEL4.x should work, along with Fedora FC2 and up and the
> > free Centos4 rebuild of RHEL4.

> IMHO main problems with RH distros are:
> 1) RT is not part of distribution, so AFAIU you can't get support from
> RH(may be I'm wrong).

Does some distribution include/support the current RT version?

> 2) RH freeze package versions and then only applies patches
> selectively. For eg in RH9 was 5.8.0 available only with a lot of
> patches, when at the same time perl5.8.3(or may be 4) was available at
> perl.org. I even couldn't compile that RH's perl from SRPM or it was
> failing on the tests.

Usually that's a good thing, assuming the starting version is good
enough.  After RH9, the distribution split into the fast-cycle
Fedora which you use if you want frequent app-version updates
and RHEL (and the free rebuilds like Centos followed) where the
updates are bugfix backports which you use if you don't want
frequent behavior-changing updates.

FC2 included perl-5.8.3 which was OK for RT3.  FC4 is at 5.8.6.
RHEL4 (and thus Centos4) have perl-5.8.5, probably with some
bugs fixed by backporting later changes.   None of those should
have perl-related issues regarding RT other than how to install
and maintain the many needed extra modules that aren't included
in the distribution.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com