[rt-users] Seeking documentation on applying patches posted in rt-commit

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:21:14 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Jennifer I. Moore <jim1 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi Todd, rt-users, and rt-commit,
Please, don't send anything into rt-commit ML. If you want discuss
some change use rt-devel list.

> Thank you for your reply.  It would be very helpful, if I was already
> versed in the use of Subversion, and it was already installed on my
> system.  Unfortunately, neither is the case yet.  Though I did find the
> thread in the RT mail list archives on renaming the Subversion tree, so I
> have a better understanding now of the subject lines (but what's Jiffy?).
>
> Since Subversion seems to be one of RT's "dependencies" (in the sense of
> applying patches), I was hoping to find a set of instructions in the RT
> documentation that covers Subversion's installation and use *as it pertains
> to RT*.  Still searching, but hoping someone may be able to point me in the
> right direction.
SVN is not RT's dependency. If you maintain RT installation and want
to be on the bleeding edge then svn will help you. If you don't know
anything about CVS, SVN or other versions control systems then you
could learn more about it or could ignore it.

> Of course I downloaded the Subversion source, read portions of the online
> book, and ran the install.  However, it didn't like the idea of being
> installed in a non-default location, so I had to back out for now.  (We
> have RT and all of its pieces in its own filesystem, which I
> administer.  The rest is under another sysadmin's perview.)
I think svn can be installed in any place you want:
./configure --prefix=~/my_apps

> I suppose the simpler questions are these:
>
>    - Are there any patches that need to be applied to RT 3.4.4 to fix
> bugs?  It appears that there may be.
Yes, 3.4 now is in maintance state and this mean almost all changes in
this branch are bug-fixes.

>    - Is it possible to cut and paste code posted to the rt-commit list into
> an overlay file and apply the patch that way?  If so, what path and
> filename?  Any other details needed?  (Please note, Perl is still just a
> camel to me too.)
you should learn something about diff and patch commands.
> cp dir dir-my
> change something in dir-my
> then run `diff -Nru dir dir-my > my.patch`
last command output "patch" that describe changes you did in 'dir-my'
against conten of the 'dir'

> cd dir
> patch -p1 < ../my.patch
this command will apply patch to content in dir 'dir'.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.