[rt-users] Virtual RT

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Mon Sep 26 11:34:22 EDT 2005

>    I just wanted to add something regarding my interpretations here.
>    Yes, you can run Multiple Instances, *BUT*, and this is a
>*BIIIIIGGGGGG* but... Its *NOT* Virtual.

   I'm curious what you're driving at, and I'm not clear what
   "virtual" means in your context.

   You said you want different Signatures/Priorities/Templates
   between the virtual RTs.  I think you said you wanted
   different queues, users, and customer fields, too.

   You didn't say if you wanted completely independent *tickets*.
   Nor did you say if anything in the database should be held
   in common, or if you ever need to transfer tickets between
   virtual RTs.

   If you want the RT items (users, tickets, queues, ...)
   separate, but you just want to minimize the admin cost of
   maintaining RT, then why not use different mysql databases
   (within the same mysql server/engine)? You would have each
   database dealt with by a separate set of fcgi processes, all
   running from the same code base on the same apache server. The
   "virtual" part would mean one apache install, one RT code
   install, one mysql install, but a separate RT_SiteConfig and
   separate mysql database per virtual RT. (After all, each
   virtual RT has to have something that is different.)

   However, if you don't want everything separate, then
   I'm really not clear on what parts are common and what parts
   are not.  For example, if the tickets are to be common,
   then are you suggesting that ticket #10 (uniquely identified
   among all virtual RTs) might be in Queue_xyz in RT_A
   and in Queue_abc in RT_B ?   If an admin for RT_A wanted
   to restrict privs to view a given queue, would that stop
   the admin for RT_B from assigning tickets in this queue
   to some public queue visibile in his virtual RT?

   I suppose this is idle curiosity, I'm just trying to
   understand what you are asking.

      bobg