[rt-users] bounce handling

Mathew theillien at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 22:16:59 EST 2006

We have database at work that has all of our customer contacts.  We have
a script which polls it regularly and builds a procmail ruleset based on
all of those contact email addresses.  If an incoming email is directed
at the queue to which the procmail ruleset belongs and the address is
not found it is sent a bounce message.

Basically, the 'From' address is compared to everything in the procmail
ruleset.  If the email address exists it is passed to the RT mailgate.
If the address doesn't exist, postfix sends a bounce with a prebuilt
message indicating the address is not an authorized address and to have
someone that is already authorized to contact our NOC to add the new user.

If they contact us we add them to an authorized users list until they
are added to the database.  This list is checked immediately after the
database is polled by our script.

This led to an issue of emails being bounced to likely non-existent
email addresses since they are primarily spam induced.  The servers for
these bounced messages then would return another bounce to us indicating
that the email address doesn't exist.  This was solved by setting the
'From' address in OUR bounces to no-reply@ which we then configured
Exchange to send to the bit bucket.

HTH,
Mathew