[rt-users] Best practices: Queues vs. Custom fields

Michael Finn mfinn at nbutexas.com
Wed Feb 1 12:11:08 EST 2006

Howdy.

We're beginning our test implementation of RT, and we currently plan to
have several queues for different types of requests: development,
repairs (one-time), maintenance (recurring, but not regularly), supplies
(printer toner, etc.).  Additionally, the powers that be want the
ability to generate reports based on departments (e.g., average time to
resolve tickets coming from Accounting).  For this, I propose adding a
Custom Field to tickets designating the requestor's department.

Would it make more sense to have Queues by department and handle request
type differently?

Is there a recommended "best practice"?

On a related note, when a requestor creates a ticket via e-mail, could
the proposed department field be auto-populated based on the requestor's
address, or should the department field instead be part of the User
object?

TIA,
Mike