[rt-users] Stripping email history from reply mail body

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Thu Feb 2 21:11:02 EST 2006

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:30:32 -0500
Davin Flatten <flatten at ecs.umass.edu> spake:

> I don't know if this is possible or not, but has anyone figured out how
> to strip out the original message body from reply messages.  What is
> happening to us is when a ticket is a longer job each reply from our
> users contains the original message sent to them.  If I don't strip this
> by hand each new correspondence grows larger and the ticket history
> becomes really difficult to read.  Do you think I could safely regex the
> mail body in a scrip?  Maybe get rid of lines starting with '>'?
>
> Anyone have a solution already short of educating our users?
>
> Thanks!
> Davin Flatten

I've been wondering this same thing.  In my wonderings though I've
thought of a few times that it would be a problem.  Mostly with people
who insert answers throughout the reply.  If you stripped it out
automatically you'd lose the context of the answers.

A cool feature would be an option to "Clean up this message" or
something.  I know PERL, but have little insight into RT, and my
proportion of available time versus desire for this feature factored by
the initial learning curve is not correct yet.

--

Bill Chmura
Director of Internet Technology

p: 860.621.8693