[rt-users] Scalar::Util::Weak Problem (Fixed!)

jkaufman at footlocker.com jkaufman at footlocker.com
Mon Feb 13 08:14:12 EST 2006

It's possible. How does one go about disabling weak references? I was
unable to get it to compile using 5.8.7 (self compiled), 5.8.0 (Shipped
with AIX), 5.8.5 (Compiled on a previous release of Aix v5.2), and 5.8.7
(PDSLIB compile). Nothing worked until I tried 5.8.8 (self compiled).  I
can't say I have any idea WHY 5.8.8 worked, but it worked on
Scalar::Util::Weak...  Sub::Uplevel is now the problem child :)

A whole bunch of:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
/home/root/.cpan/build/Sub-Uplevel-0.09/blib/lib/Sub/Uplevel.pm line 123.

It will install, but anything that uses it sometimes will fail their make
test...sigh...  Hopefully this will not be a future problem...

Jonathan Kaufman

Scott Courtney
Sent by: rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
02/12/2006 03:40 PM

rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
cc

Subject
Re: [rt-users] Scalar::Util::Weak Problem (Fixed!)

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 12:46, jkaufman at footlocker.com wrote:
> It would seem the end fix would be to upgrade to perl 5.8.8 :)

I suspect you may have actually been bitten by the same bug that bit me a
couple of months ago. Some precompiled versions of Perl (notably the one
that
ships with RHEL 4.0's "up2date" utility) have weak references disabled at
compile time. RHEL 4 ships with weak refs enabled in the distributed
version,
but a later "security update" from "up2date" turns it off -- and this is
not
documented. My server got updated from Perl 5.8.5 build (something) to
Perl
5.8.5 build (something slightly later) that way, and it utterly broke RT.
I ripped out what little hair I have trying to find that one -- you don't
instinctively look for version compatibility issues when the version
didn't
change.

I'm glad you got it working, whatever the underlying cause.

Scott

Be sure to check out the RT Wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

Download a free sample chapter of RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media at
http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

WE'RE COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON - RT Training in Amsterdam, Boston and
San Francisco - Find out more at
http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html